Why Me First?
Me First because if I’m asking you to go deep, then I want to earn your trust and go deep myself, first. That’s why I share what I do on this site about my own journey and path – because when you’re being encouraged to shine a light into some of those dark corners and recesses you’ve never dared look at before, it can help if someone else goes first. So…me first.
Me First because too many of us put everyone else first and still expect to keep giving of ourselves from a cup half full (or empty). My work focuses on helping you figure out what “Me First” means to you, how to actually put yourself first without the guilt and shame so many of us feel when we do this, and how to use the Me First mindset to create the life, business/career and relationships you’ve always wanted. If you choose, you can begin our journey of discovery to find out what “Me First” looks like for you…
Who Am I?
That’s a very good question and one I’m still figuring out after quite a life-changing year in the run up to my 40th birthday – I divorced my teenage sweetheart, started a relationship with a woman, began to explore my adoption, made huge changes to my business, and dyed my hair for the first time ever (with a hidden rainbow, no less!!) – which had me pondering: Who Am I?
At the moment, this is what I do know about myself…
- I’m Lea (pronounced Lee-UH NOT Lee), although the name my birth mother gave me was Jovy.
- I’m Filipina, was born in HK and adopted by English parents from birth (who were given just 7 days to prepare for my arrival!).
- I LOVE food and I most definitely live to eat. I eat almost 100% organic, though I am partial to the odd gourmet burger and fries.
- My favourite colour is a deep teal.
- In previous incarnations, I’ve been a management consultant for the world’s largest consulting company, before leaving to re-train as a holistic health coach.
- I married my teenage sweetheart who I met when I was 17. After 22 happy years together we separated amicably in 2016.
- I have two gorgeous children, Mali and Samson. But motherhood is definitely NOT the be-all and end-all for me.
- I’m now in a same-sex relationship with one of my best friends. And I absolutely believe most of us are more fluid than we dare to admit 😉
- My core values are freedom, integrity, excellence and empowerment.
- I’m ridiculously logical, intuitive, spiritual and highly creative – but not in the artistic sense (I can’t draw to save my life).
- If you’re into Myers Briggs, I’m an INFJ. If you’re into the Fascinate system, I’m the Victor. If you’re into Human Design, I’m a Manifestor.
- I’m 5 feet and 1.5 inches – the 0.5 is very important. If you’re also this short petite, you’ll know.
- I have a very British accent but also speak a bit of German, French, Spanish and Italian.
During my time as an entrepreneur and business owner, I’ve:
- Created a global movement, which garnered international media interest and caught the attention of big brands such as Dell.
- Written, self-published and sold a number of ebooks; the first back in 2007 before everyone was doing it. (You can read some of them here).
- Organised and hosted the first (and second) ever national UK conference for illustrators.
- Coached, mentored and consulted for hundreds of business owners online.
- Run numerous businesses including a health & fitness coaching business, a web design & development business, professional blogging (i.e. I was paid to blog), freelance writing, technology consulting, strategic business consulting.
- Been listed in Forbes magazine’s Thirty Women Entrepreneurs To Follow on Twitter.
- Been featured in national and international press. You can see all my press & media mentions here.
Who Are You?
I like to work with people – typically women – who are seeking to carve out their path in a way that is wholly true to who they are. You probably share a number of common virtues…
- You’re still discovering who you truly are (and know it’s an ongoing process).
- You’re a giver, not a taker (but frequently struggle to put yourself first).
- You’re ready to let go of the beliefs, triggers and behaviours that no longer serve you best (no matter how deeply ingrained they may be).
- You want to let go of the guilt and shame you feel when you put yourself first (and now recognise how fundamental this is to being able to give more).
P.S. I reserve the right to change this page as I discover more about who I am 😉
Start Your Own Me First Experiment...
A monthly email series to help you discover a YOU you might not yet know and figure out what "Me First" means to you...
Note: You'll also receive my newsletter with additional challenges and explorations, freshly written for you each month.