Do you believe that running your own business should be about improving your life, and building a business that works for you – rather than the other way round?
Me too! I’m Lea (pronounced as in Lee-uh and not Lee) and I’m a Business Strategist (I plan everything), Implementation Specialist (I also get stuff done), Serial Entrepreneur, Wife and Mother.
In previous incarnations, I’ve been a management consultant for the world’s largest consulting company and a holistic health coach. My goal in business & life: To do what I want, when I want, with whom I want & where I want. I help clients achieve the same.
Why Core Values?
I believe core values matter; they drive almost all our decisions (conscious and unconscious), and they function as a guiding compass, in business and in life. My top 3 core values (and what they mean to me) are:
- Freedom ~ to choose what’s right.
- Integrity ~ being the true you, no matter what.
- Excellence ~ because perfection is over-rated
When You Work With Me, You’ll Get…
- The macro and the micro – focusing on both the long range vision and the day-to-day details.
- A truly holistic approach – I’ll share whatever I know that could help you – on life, business, health, kids…whatever.
- A relentless focus on values – because they determine everything.
- Encouragement to pull, not push – so things flow with greater ease.
- Uncompromising integrity – because you can’t give what you don’t have. That includes me and you.
What makes me different?
Unlike many business coaches or consultants, my business experience isn’t limited to running a business that teaches and coaches others how to run a business…
- My coaching, consulting and mentoring advice is often based upon my own experience of setting up, running and growing multiple successful ventures of my own, in completely different fields.
- I have real world, hands-on experience improving other businesses, as a former management consultant for the world’s largest consulting firm.
- I relentlessly test, experiment, explore and push the boundaries with my own business, and continue to launch new projects which fit with my overall strategic plans.
- I plan and do. I don’t just talk about what I’m going to do, I actually do it. And share my learnings with you throughout.
- I have a signature system. But it’s most definitely NOT a one-size-fits-all; in fact it’s based upon helping you put your core values at the heart of everything you do. Sound good? You can find it here.
My Own Business (Ad)Ventures…
I’m somewhat of a multi-passionate, serial entrepreneur and usually have several ventures on the go at any one time. The current ones include:
- Inspiring Ventures – a support hub & community for 21st century families.
- Location Independent – online resources to help you live and work from anywhere.
- Illustrators’ Union – an action-oriented, global support community for illustrators.
During my time as an entrepreneur and business owner, I’ve:
- Written, self-published and sold my own 60k-word book, back in 2007 before everyone was doing it.
- Published and sold numerous other eBooks, eGuides and digital zines.
- Written, built and sold a wide range of digital programmes.
- Set up and grown a number of online communities (free and paid).
- Organised and hosted large and small events, workshops & classes, both online and off.
- Coached, mentored and consulted for hundreds of business owners online.
- Run a health & fitness coaching business, a web design & development business, been a professional blogger (i.e. I was paid to blog), a freelance writer, a technology consultant, a teacher and an online business consultant. Told you I was multi-passionate!
- I’m a wife to Jonathan – a talented illustrator, and a mother to Mali & Samson who keep us both on our toes!
- I’m Filipina but was adopted by English parents from birth, in HK.
- I actually loved working in the rat race – it was the office politics and ridiculous company policies that wore me down & I quit the very first day back in the office after a 6 month sabbatical. I think that’s still a company record.
- I LOVE (organic) food – and I most definitely live to eat.
- I’m left-brained, spiritual, creative and intuitive – ridiculously logical, highly creative but not in the artistic sense (I can’t draw to save my life), very intuitive and spiritual.
- If you’re into Myers Briggs, I’m an INFJ. If you’re into the Fascinate system, I’m the Victor. If you’re into Human Design, I’m a Manifestor.
- I’m 5 feet and 1.5 inches – the 0.5 is very important. If you’re also this
shortpetite, you’ll know.
- I have a very British accent but also speak German, French, a bit of Spanish & a bit of Italian.
- I was once listed in Forbes magazine’s Thirty Women Entrepreneurs To Follow on Twitter.
- My projects have been featured in national and international press. You can see all my media mentions here.
- I have spoken about location independence and running an online business for the Hult International Business School, Dubai and the American College of Management & Technology, Dubrovnik.
The Long Version
I’m a former management consultant – I left university with no clue about what I wanted to do and foolishly thought that consulting would help me figure that out. At the time, working for then Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) was my dream job. I soon learned better!
Leaving the corporate world after a tragedy…
After a personal tragedy forced me to re-evaluate my life (holding your Mum’s hand while she dies can do that to you), I quit the rat race and became a personal trainer. I told you that my time at Accenture didn’t help me figure out what I really wanted to do!
Diving headlong into the world of holistic health…
I then focused my training and client services more on holistic health (rather than just fitness – think metabolic typing, the CHEK approach and other unconventional but effective strategies) but this morphed into a 2 year journey to heal my own body and system – and repair the damage and havoc caused by my hedonistic lifestyle in the City.
Becoming location independent and nomadic…
After another unfortunate event (my husband, Jonathan, was made redundant) once again forced us to re-evaluate our lifestyle, we decided to get smart. That’s when we became location independent, coined the phrase and set off for destinations unknown. Along the way, we set up the site, Location Independent, to help other people create a life of freedom, untethered by their geographic location and follow in our footsteps.
Becoming parents. Accidentally…
We also became parents to the cutest little Munchkins (Mali & Samson) we could ever have wished for. And that’s after having announced to the world that we didn’t want kids!
Pulling it all together…
And we finally figured out how to tie everything we were passionate about into something resembling a business which enables us to pioneer our own path online and helps others do the same too. That’s what Inspiring Ventures is today.
What to do next?
If you’re feeling stuck and things aren’t working out as you hoped, find out why below…